KFOX14 - kfoxtv.com - Search Results
Update: Father wakes up during house fire; grabs wife and son
EL PASO, Texas--A family of three was forced out of their home after it caught on fire.
Firefighters said the family was sound asleep when the husband woke up to the smell of smoke, thats when he woke up his wife and grabbed his year 3-year-old son.
The husband did smell the smoke, he woke up his wife, and they went and got their 3-year-old child, said Battalion Chief Raymond Carreon.
The fire broke out at a home near the 9100 block of Plymouth and Lancaster Drives around 1:15 a.m. Friday. Firefighters tell KFOX14 the fire started in the garage and then spread to other items.
About 19 firefighters and 7 fire trucks responded to the scene, El Paso fire said.
A fire investigator determined the accidental fire started underneath the dryer due to improper ventilation, said El Paso fire spokesman George DeLaTorre.
Carreon said the fire was contained to the garage. However, smoke damage was reported throughout the home.
"When we arrived the occupants had self-evacuated. They quickly did a fire attack, and they were able to control the fire, said Carreon.
The family of three watched from across the street as firefighters put the fire out.
A neighbor gave them blankets, and invited the little boy inside her home to stay warm.
"All refused any type of treatment. They were able to evacuate the house with plenty of time, said Carreon.
Carreon tells KFOX14 the family was renting the home and won't be able to go inside until the smoke lingering behind cleared out.
"Currently the house does not have any electricity so they won't be able to go back in for the rest of the evening, said Carreon.
The displaced family of three will seek assistance from their family.
No injuries were reported, and damages are estimated at $15,000 said DeLaTorre.