KFOX14 - kfoxtv.com - Search Results
DACSO, District Attorney to host press conference on MMA home invasion investigation
By: Ruben Veloz
Las Cruces, NM-- The Dona Ana County Sheriff's Office and the Districts Attorney office are teaming up to solve last week's deadly home invasion in Las Cruces.
The sheriff's office will hold a press conference Tuesday to discuss more about what happened inside the Las Cruces home.
Joseph Torrez, 27, is the alleged victim in the home invasion, but it was 25-year-old Sal Garces who died at the scene.
Investigators say Torrez, who is a mixed martial arts fighter, fought off four men trying to invade his home on the 600 block of King James Ave in Las Cruces on New Year's Day.
Dona Ana County sheriff's deputies say Leonoard Calvillo, 22, Nathan Avalos, 20, Sal Garces, 25, and Raymond Garces, 19, broke into Torrez's home at about 2 a.m.
According to an arrest affidavit obtained by KFOX14, the men forced their way into the home to settle an argument that occurred on New Year's Eve.
Torrez's fianc and baby were home at the time of the invasion.
Deputies say Torrez allegedly fought off the invaders, killing one of them and seriously injuring another.
KFOX14 went to the Torrez home but no one responded.
Neighbors tell KFOX14 they are stunned.
"We are really shocked about it because normally this neighborhood is really quiet, relaxed. All our kids play up and down this street all the time," said neighbor David Cooper.
Deputies said Sal Garces was found dead two houses down the street with multiple stab wounds.
Avalos was also taken to the hospital with serious facial injuries, while Calvillo and Raymond Garces were charged with aggravated burglary, assault and criminal damage to property.
Garces is being held at the Dona Ana County Detention center on a $10,000 bond.
Torrez has not been charged in the connection to the crime and there's even been a Facebook page set up to support Torrez.
The press conference will be today at 10 a.m. the Dona Ana County Government Center.