Most Shared

KFOX14 - kfoxtv.com - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Fire officials: Cigarette caused east El Paso home to burst into flames

By: Jesse Martinez
EL PASO, Texas A smoker's carelessness was the cause of an east El Paso house fire Monday afternoon, officials said.

Fire crews arrived at the home on the 2300 block of Villa Plata Drive around 4:06 p.m. after neighbors reportedly saw heavy smoke, officials said.

When crews arrived, officials said they saw large flames and smoke coming from the rear of the home.

One man was inside at the time of the fire and safely self-evacuated, officials said.

The occupant smelled smoke inside the home and when he went to investigate, he saw that the attached washroom was fully engulfed in flames, officials said.

According to a fire investigator, the fire was ruled accidental and was started by a cigarette that was not properly extinguished in the washroom. The cigarette caused stored combustibles to ignite.

The damage done by the fire was estimated at $80,000, officials said.

No injuries were reported and about 10 fire units and 25 firefighters responded to the blaze.

 

Talkers

Advertise with us!
KFOX14 El Paso - Live Cast Watch live broadcasts of KFOX14 News seven days a week!
Advertise with us!

Washington Times