KFOX14 - kfoxtv.com - Search Results
Snorting a popular candy can leave maggots in nose
By: Stephanie Guadian
EL PASO, Texas - A trend among young people can lead to infection, scarring and even a maggot invasion. Kids are smashing Smarties candies and snorting the sweet. There are lots of video on YouTube documenting the dangerous stunt.
In one of the videos, a teen is seen snorting the candy and coughing. A cough is probably the tamest side effect. Doctors say snorting Smarties can lead to sinus infections, internal bleeding and lung infections.
Dr. Al Johnson explained some of the more serious side effects.
The particles get stuck in their nose. And of course it contains sugar. And sugar is a good medium for bacterial infections, said Dr. Al Johnson.
And that's not all. The sugar attracts flies, which can lay eggs inside the nose -- leading to maggots. The biggest question may be: Why are some kids doing it?
The rainbow candy is made up of dextrose, citric acid, calcium stearate, flavoring and coloring agents -- ingredients that don't get a person high.
Some kids say they are just having fun. But health experts say the trend is not a laughing matter. And parents should look for signs their children may be snorting Smarties.
Unusual behavior of the kids, runny nose, nasal irritation and cough, said Dr. Johnson.
There is also a concern the practice could lead to cigarette smoking and snorting real drugs.
Kids "smoking" Smarties is also a fad. They inhale the power -- and blow it back out -- giving the illusion of smoking a cigarette.
Doctors say that can also lead to health problems.