KFOX14 - kfoxtv.com - Search Results
Small explosion at eastside home displaces two on Christmas
By: Jesse Martinez
EL PASO, Texas -- A gas leak set an east El Paso home on fire Christmas Day, and firefighters were able to thwart the blaze in minutes, officials said.
At around 10 p.m. Wednesday, fire crews were dispatched to a home on the 1600 block of Vista Real Drive when the homeowner called 911 saying the roof was on fire.
Two adults were able to escape the home as firefighters contained the fire to the attic space near the fireplace.
The residents told fire crews they heard a small explosion in the attic and immediately called 911, officials said.
A fire investigator said gas built up in the attic space, and an explosion ignited the wood beams.
The damage done by the fire is estimated at $40,000, and no injuries were reported.