KFOX14 - kfoxtv.com - Search Results
Family of four escapes fire in Lower Valley home
By: Gina Benitez
EL PASO, Texas- fire ripped through a Lower Valley home early Sunday morning.
The El Paso Fire Department responded to 27 Via Placita Road just after 8:30 a.m.
"We went back to investigate and found heavy fire back in the porch area," said an incident commander with the El Paso Fire Department.
A family of four was inside at the time.
Three of the family members were able to evacuate on their own but the fourth family member found herself stuck on the second-floor balcony.
"Because of the heavy smoke in the interior of the house, they were unable to exit through the interior," the incident commander said.
Firefighters safely brought her down but found challenges when tackling the flames.
"Right now, we had quite a pretty good little wind coming from the area where the fire originated, pushing the fire through the house. Also, the cold conditions tends to keep the smoke lower," the incident commander said.
Initially, firefighters thought the home was salvageable.
"We do have heavy damage to the first floor ceilings because the heavy furniture on the second floor, there is a considerable amount of structural damage," the incident commander said.
But firefighters are now considering it a total loss. Luckily, everyone inside made it out OK.
"All the people inside of the occupancy refused transport and treatment and they're all fine," the incident commander said.
Fire investigators said the fire started in the back patio.
A lamp with frayed wiring was reportedly to blame.