KFOX14 - kfoxtv.com - Search Results
Anthony house fire leaves man with nothing
Anthony, NM--An Anthony man is left without a place to live after his home catches on fire.
The fire burned everything he owned, neighbors said.
The fire happened around 10 p.m. Thursday near Charles Avenue and Madison Street.
Neighbors who didn't want to give their names for privacy purposes, said the man who lived here was away at the time, and feared his dog may have died in the fire.
"What happened to my house!" cried the man when he arrived at his home.
Neighbors said the flames were so high, they feared the man was trapped inside.
"There's no fire hydrants nearby," said one woman, "The nearest one is about a block away so the firefighters had trouble finding it, and making their way down here."
Pieces of wood still burned and metal reduced to rubble even after firefighters managed to put out the flames.
A woman who went by the name of Rebecca, said she knows the man who lived here and said she feared something like this would happen.
"It was not safe because I saw some electrical things that I just didn't believe that were safe," said Rebecca.
She said the man rented the mobile home.
"From what I understand, he really doesn't have close family around to help him out, and I'm upset because he's going to need an extra hand," said Rebecca.
Even though Rebecca doesn't know where the man is staying this morning, she has this message for her friend.
"Your life hasn't been easy, but just know that there is people that love you, and we're going to try our best to help you get through this," said Rebecca.
Firefighters tell KFOX14 the Red Cross was on the scene to assist the man.
Investigators haven't said what sparked the fire.