- Chihuahuas GM: Team name selected off of marketability, not votes
- Backlash toward Chihuahua's a positive, says experts
- Despite controversy, El Paso Chihuahuas mark territory in Sun City
- El Paso's baseball team now has an identity
- KFOX14 speaks with man who submitted winning Chihuahuas team name idea
- Cross-country runners get shut out of course because of government shutdown
- Five elected for El Paso baseball Hall of Fame
- Mayor: City will not pay a penny more than agreed for ballpark
- Miner fans can expect changes at games, on and off the field
- Former UTEP signee denied waiver appeal
- El Paso mayor comments on Padres contract extension
- Padres may play in Tucson next year if El Paso stadium isn't ready
- UTEP football gears up for season under new head coach
- UTEP Releases 2013-14 Menâs Basketball Schedule
- Manziel to sit half of opener
- Home opener, schedule for Triple-A team announced
- El Paso Sports Park getting makeover
- First scheduled home game for El Paso Triple-A team revealed
- Season ticket prices revealed for Triple-A baseball
- College athletes, including UTEP, suing NCAA over likeness revenue
- El Paso attorney hired to represent Heisman Trophy winner
- Las Cruces team misses chance at World Series run
- AP Source: A-Rod lone holdout in drug cases
- UTEP graduate named to US Solheim Cup team
- City engineer: Ballpark construction 'going really well'
UTEP Releases 2013-14 Menâs Basketball Schedule
Updated: Wednesday, August 28 2013, 05:46 PM MDT
EL PASO, TEXAS – The UTEP men’s basketball team will participate in the Battle 4 Atlantis at Paradise Island in the Bahamas, host 2013 NCAA Tournament participant Colorado State, battle I-10 rival NM State twice and play a road game at Pac-12 power Washington State, highlighting the non-conference portion of its 2013-14 schedule. The full slate was announced on Wednesday.
The Miners, 18-14 last season with five of their top seven scorers and top four rebounders returning, will also join the field of the 52nd WestStar Bank Don Haskins Sun Bowl Invitational Dec. 28-29 at the Don Haskins Center. UTEP’s 16-game Conference USA schedule includes home matchups with Marshall, Rice, Tulsa and league newcomers Charlotte, Florida Atlantic, FIU, Louisiana Tech and UTSA.
The Miners will play a minimum of 21 home games, including hosting the Conference USA Championship March 11-15.
Following an exhibition versus Southeastern Oklahoma State (Nov. 2), UTEP will tip-off the regular season at home against Loyola (New Orleans) on Nov. 9. The Miners will play at NMSU on Nov. 15 – the earliest meeting between the Miners and the Aggies since the 1998-99 season. The UTEP-NMSU rematch is on Nov. 23 at the Haskins Center.
On Nov. 19, the Miners will face Colorado State for the third consecutive season. The Rams are coming off a 26-9 campaign that culminated in advancement to the third round of the NCAA Tournament.
UTEP will join Iowa, Kansas, Tennessee, USC, Villanova, Wake Forest and Xavier in the Battle 4 Atlantis Thanksgiving weekend (Nov. 28-30) in the Bahamas. The Miners will take on Tennessee on Nov. 28 and either Iowa or Xavier on Nov. 29.
Beginning on Dec. 7, the Miners will be home for nine of 10 games during a month-long stretch. UTEP will host Sacramento State (Dec. 7), New Orleans (Dec. 16), Northwestern State (Dec. 19) and Montana State (Dec. 23) prior to the WestStar Bank Don Haskins Sun Bowl Invitational. Northwestern State was 23-9 last season, won the Southland Conference championship and played in the NCAA Tournament. The Demons were second nationally in scoring a year ago, averaging 80 points per game.
On Dec. 21, the Miners will play at Washington State for the first time in school history. UTEP will be facing a Pac-12 opponent on the road for the third year in a row (Oregon 2011, Arizona 2012).
UTEP will take on Angelo State in an exhibition game on Jan. 4 prior to tipping off the C-USA ledger at home against Charlotte (Jan. 9) and Marshall (Jan. 11). In a change from previous years, C-USA games will be played on Thursdays and Saturdays with teams either at home or on the road for two games each week.
The Miners will embark on their first league road swing to meet Middle Tennessee and UAB on Jan. 16 and 18, respectively. UTEP will play three consecutive C-USA home games in late January and early February, squaring off against UTSA (Jan. 25), La Tech (Jan. 30) and Rice (Feb. 1). The Miners will head east to match up with East Carolina (Feb. 6) and Old Dominion (Feb. 8) before Florida Atlantic (Feb. 13) and FIU (Feb. 15) invade the Haskins Center out of the Sunshine State.
UTEP will be on the road for four of its final six C-USA games, tangling with Tulane (Feb. 20), Southern Miss (Feb. 22), North Texas (March 2) and UTSA (March 6). The final regular season home game is on Feb. 27 versus Tulsa.