- Chihuahuas GM: Team name selected off of marketability, not votes
- Backlash toward Chihuahua's a positive, says experts
- Despite controversy, El Paso Chihuahuas mark territory in Sun City
- El Paso's baseball team now has an identity
- KFOX14 speaks with man who submitted winning Chihuahuas team name idea
- Cross-country runners get shut out of course because of government shutdown
- Five elected for El Paso baseball Hall of Fame
- Mayor: City will not pay a penny more than agreed for ballpark
- Miner fans can expect changes at games, on and off the field
- Former UTEP signee denied waiver appeal
- El Paso mayor comments on Padres contract extension
- Padres may play in Tucson next year if El Paso stadium isn't ready
- UTEP football gears up for season under new head coach
- UTEP Releases 2013-14 Menâs Basketball Schedule
- Manziel to sit half of opener
- Home opener, schedule for Triple-A team announced
- El Paso Sports Park getting makeover
- First scheduled home game for El Paso Triple-A team revealed
- Season ticket prices revealed for Triple-A baseball
- College athletes, including UTEP, suing NCAA over likeness revenue
- El Paso attorney hired to represent Heisman Trophy winner
- Las Cruces team misses chance at World Series run
- AP Source: A-Rod lone holdout in drug cases
- UTEP graduate named to US Solheim Cup team
- City engineer: Ballpark construction 'going really well'
Home opener, schedule for Triple-A team announced
Updated: Monday, August 19 2013, 11:15 PM MDT
By: Genevieve Curtis and Jamel Valencia
EL PASO, Texas -- El Paso's Triple-A team officially has a schedule for the 2014 season.
The team's ownership group, MountainStar Sports, released the team's 144-game schedule Monday.
On Friday, April 11, 2014, the team will play its first home game when it takes on the Reno Aces at the new downtown stadium.
The yet-to-be-named team will play 72 home games.
"This is real. This defines that the team is going to be here. We have our opponents set. This is a true marker of a time frame. This is going to indicate when we are going to play and the 72 first events that are going to take place at the stadium or ballpark with the ball team playing," said Brad Taylor, the general manager of MountainStar Sports group.
The season begins on the road on April 3 with eight straight gamesbefore the team returns to the borderland.
The team is a member of the Pacific Southern Division, and major matchups include the LADodgers' AAA affiliate, the Albuquerque Isotopes, and Texas Rangers affiliate Round Rock Express.
Taylor said a team name along with colors, mascot and uniform should be announced in early fall.
Prices on single-game tickets are still in the works.
A series of games played in the city fall on or near several holidays, which the ownership group believes will enhance the fan experience.
"It makes for a ton of promotional fun ideas, to be able to celebrate things. We are a family entity; to be able to celebrate these things that are centered around Mother's Day, Father's Day; also right before the Fourth of July. The third of July should make for a really fun night. We are home real close to the Army's birthday on June 14, which I think would be a really fun thing to celebrate in this community, with the presence of Fort Bliss. It just adds to some fun niche nights," said Taylor.
Construction of the stadium is underway in downtown El Paso, and Taylor said he feels confident it will be ready for opening day.
"These guys are working every day. There were people working on a Sunday. They say they're on time. Right now it's August and we don't start 'til April," said Taylor.
There are some local businesses interested in purchasing the naming rights to the stadium but Taylor stayed tight-lipped on identifying any of the interested parties.
The season will run through Sept. 1, 2014.
Season tickets are on sale now. For ticket information, call 915-533-2219 (BASE) or visit www.elpasotriplea.com.