- Police dog stabbed during incident in Las Cruces
- Las Cruces police looking for suspicious driver trying to pick up kids
- Armed robber of Payless Shoe Store sought by police
- Most Wanted week of August 11
- Manhunt Monday: Man wanted for indecency with child
- Most Wanted week of August 4
- New homes burglarized
- Police searching for title loan store armed robber
- Most Wanted week of July 28
- Most Wanted week of July 21
Las Cruces police looking for suspicious driver trying to pick up kids
Updated: Friday, August 16 2013, 04:28 PM MDT
By: Jamel Valencia
LAS CRUCES, N.M. -- A parent's worst nightmare – having their child abducted – almost happened to one Las Cruces child on their first day of school.
A student at Booker T. Washington Elementary at 755 E. Chestnut Ave. was approached by a man driving an SUV, Las Cruce police said.
The incident happened after school. Police said a parent of another child witnessed the driver of a dark red or maroon Surburban talking to the boy, trying to lure him into the vehicle, said a police official.
The boy refused to get into the man's SUV and immediately rushed to the witnesses' side, they said.
The man drove off, but police said they need help in identifying the driver so that it doesn't happen again.
They said they want to talk to the driver.
If you have information involving this incident you are asked to call Las Cruces Police at Las Cruces Crime Stoppers at 800-222-TIPS (8477) or send a tip via text message to CRIMES (274637), keyword LCTIPS.
Police also said they hope that parents share this story to their kids so that they can avoid situations like this.