- Blog: "Breaking Bad" creators teaming up once again, filming starting soon
- Tech Talk Tuesday: Red Thumb
- Tech Talk Tuesday: Cyber Gun
- Tech Talk Tuesday: Smartphone Crime Rings and More
- Morrissey to play in El Paso
- Tech Talk Tuesday: Awesome Tech News
- Tech Talk Tuesday: Tech You Shouldn't Buy This Year
- White House required to respond to Bieber deportation petition
- An unpaid bill leads to costly video game battle
- Tech Talk Tuesday: TVs for Super Bowl
- Tech Talk Tuesday: High Tech Office Pool
- Tour stop in El Paso for country singer Alan Jackson
- 'Hustle,' 'Gravity' lead Oscars with 10 nods each
- Tech Talk Tuesday: Is WIFI killing you?
- Tech Talk Tuesday: Sight for Sore Eyes
- Ft. Bliss: Boot camp to the stars of "Enlisted"
- Tech Talk Tuesday: New Year Resolutions
- Tech Talk Tuesday: Random Acts of Kindness
- 'Fast & Furious 7' delayed until April 2015
- Tech Talk Tuesday: Digital Privacy
- Keynote speaker for upcoming women's luncheon to be Rosario Dawson
- Tech Talk Tuesday: Digital Divide
- Autopsy: Actor died from impact, fire in crash
- Tech Talk Tuesday: Christmas Lights
- UTEP: Boy band One Direction officially coming to Sun Bowl Stadium in 2014
- Tech Talk Tuesday: Black Friday
- 'Brian' killed off of 'Family Guy'
- Tech Talk Tuesday: PS4 VS XBOX One
- Tech Talk Tuesday: Raiders of the Lost iPhones
- Tech Talk Tuesday: Robots
- Tech Talk Tuesday: Halloween App
- Tech Talk Tuesday: iPad Air
- Tech Talk Tuesday: Tech-tober
- Kim Raver and William Devane Return for more time on '24: Live Another Day'
- 15% of America thinks you are digitally irrelevant!
- Masterchef Junior series premiere kicks off with world’s smallest cupcake
- Tech Talk Tuesday: Blockbuster Entertainment
- Tech Talk Tuesday: 4K Resolution replacing HD... Already???
- Game Review: 'GTA V' triples the intensity
- Tech Talk Tuesday: Apple New iPhones
- Fox Fall Preview
- Apple expected to expand selection of iPhones
- Arsenio fulfills his dream with late-night return
- 'American Idol' picks Lopez, Connick as judges
- Tech Talk Tuesday: Kevin Spacey wants to put me out of a job!
- Living Texas legend Willie Nelson set to perform in El Paso
- The Cure set to perform at Don Haskins arena
- Tech Talk Tuesday: iCloud the Darkside of Sharing
- Affleck to play Batman in 'Man of Steel' sequel
- Tech Talk Tuesday: Our tech guy's secret gaming addiction
- Sony's PlayStation 4 to launch on Nov. 15 in US
- Tech Talk Tuesday: iPhone users get new government update
- Last season opener of AMC's 'Breaking Bad' big hit
- Tech Talk Tuesday: To Cloud or not to Cloud, that is the Question!
- Tech Talk Tuesday: Wedding Bliss with tech!
- Tech Talk Tuesday: Smartphones and the evilness behind them
- Japanese animation master Miyazaki bids farewell
- Fox Fall Preview
- Tech Talk: Have a High Tech Halloween
Tech Talk Tuesday: iPad Air
Updated: Tuesday, October 22 2013, 04:43 PM MDT
iPad Air, iWork, and OS X Mavericks, oh my! Apple is at it again! Sorry Android lovers, but until KitKat comes out, you’re stuck hearing all about the new techie stuff coming to a Apple store near you. Oh the horror!
Like I said last week, Halloween has become frightfully filled with tech and Apple is coming out like Freddy Krueger haunting the competition every time they fall asleep. It was a little over a month ago they released the iOS 7 and iPhone 5c/s. Now they are coming out swinging with their new announcements. Buckle up as we are going to blaze through the keynote address. I’m also going to glaze over all the technical babble as you can get all of that from Apple’s website.
Let’s start with all the hardware announcements. Two new Mac BookPros, a new iPad called iPad Air, iPad mini, and Mac Pro are all here to make you hate what you have now. To me, nothing in this category stood out as impressive except the Mac Pro. Everything was faster, lighter, performed better, and lasted longer than the last offering. The new iPad was so much lighter and faster that it got a new name, “iPad Air.” Don’t get me wrong, the new hardware is great, but being faster and lighter is something I expect in a new offering and Apple hits the nail on the head every time. Now, the new Mac Pro on the other hand is a totally new redesign. Yes, it’s smaller, lighter, faster, but this machine is the flagship computer for Apple and they made this thing stand out. Only the elite of computer users are going to understand, need, or can offer the horsepower this thing is offering. It is a beast of a machine. I want one- end of story.
Software made a hit. OS X Mavericks, iWorks, and iLife all had new features that made debuts. All of them had significant upgrades that uniforms all Apple products together. iWorks products now are the same on iOS devices as on Mac computers. iLife apps are now optimized to work even better in OS X Mavericks. iCloud now becomes the unspoken hub for linking your computer life with your iOS life making it one big happy family. All in all, I’d say Apple had a really nice update in this category.
The biggest news to me that came out of this announcement, was not the hardware or the software, it was what Apple did to give it to us. I’ve never heard the word “free” more times on a stage then I did in this keynote address. OS X Mavericks is free! Free! As long as you can access the app store on your computer you can upgrade for free. That is unheard of for any hardware/software developer. That’s like Window’s giving Window’s 8 for free. That would never happen yet Apple didn’t flinch when saying it. And they didn’t stop there! They are giving away the new updates for iWork and iLife for free with any purchase of any of their new devices. Ok, that’s not totally free, but still most companies would still charge on top of getting a new computer.
If you walk away with anything from this article, I hope it’s this, Apple offering all of their software updates for free is unbelievably awesome! That does it for this episode of Tech Talk Tuesday. As always we would love your feedback/suggestions for this or our next edition, so feel free to send your comments to our resident Tech Guy Lonnie Valencia.